I recently left my pulpit with the calling from God for this next season to be a faithful member of a local congregation. My wife and I set out on a journey of finding a local church to join. While this is a very personal and very subjective subject. I think we did some things right, and some things wrong, perhaps a post on that at another time. But when I sat down with the pastor we have a very blessed conversation. Ahead of time I wrote out some questions that my wife and I had. Here they are in no particular order. I got around to most of them, and on others were simply answered in the course of our very encouraging conversation.
1. Can you email me a copy of the Constitution/Bylaws/Statement of Faith ETC?
2. What is the Gospel?
3. Who / What is the Trinity?
4. Moralistic Therapeutic Deism by Christian Smith
1. A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over human life on earth.
2. God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions.
3. The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself.
4. God does not need to be particularly involved in one’s life except when God is needed to resolve a problem.
5. Good people go to heaven when they die.
5. What are the expectations of Church Members?
6. What does the congregation believe on Communion?
7. What does thecongregation believe on Baptism?
8. Looking at the difference between salvation and steadfastness in Christ, how does / should thecongregation aid people in both areas?
9. What is the role of Corporate Worship in the life of thecongregation?
10. In the Calvinism/Arianism stand off where does this congregation fit, and what if any viewpoints are or aren’t going to be welcome?
11. What do you or the congregation feel on Elders, deacons, men women roles?
12. Are or have there been any battles with bad theology in thiscongregationthat we should know about? Are any brewing?
13. What is the congregation’s strongest point?
14. What is the congregation’s weakest point?
15. What is your biggest prayer for thecongregation?
16. What should we know about this congregation?
Any questions that you would ask a pastor before joining a church? Pastors are there any questions you wish prospective members would ask you?